Wednesday, January 24, 2018

SHAKE IT OFF

This is one of the teachings Jesus gave his disciples as He was preparing them to go off on their own “to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness”. Put simply, to minister to others. He knew the disciples would not be accepted in every town or house they asked to stay; so, He gave them this simple instruction, “If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and SHAKE THE DUST OFF YOUR FEET” (my emphasis). Shake off the rejection, don’t hang on to it, don’t keep re-hashing it. SHAKE IT OFF, MOVE ON, KEEP DOING THE TASK I ASK OF YOU. This instruction is as good today as it was then. What a good reminder not to allow rejection to make me a victim or give me a victim mentality. 
When I hear this instruction, I picture myself rubbing the sand of my feet before getting into the car when leaving the beach. Once the sand is gone, I’d put on my shoe and go on about my business never thinking about it again.  Not a one of the disciples returned from their trip complaining about being rejected. Rather they returned filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment