Saturday, October 10, 2015

LOVING YOURSELF


Isaiah 43;18-19,  "Do not remember the former things, or pongder the things of the past. Listen carefully, I am about to do a new thing, now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it? I will even put roads in the wilderness, rivers in the desert." Amplified Bible

"Loving yourself isn't hard when you understand who and what yourself is. It has nothing to do with the shape of your face, the size of your eyes, the length of your hair or the quality of your clothes. It's so beyond all those things and it's what gives life to everything about you. Your own self is a treasure." Phylicia Rashad

Many of us have done things in our past that brings us shame. It doesn't matter how many years have passed, what we have accomplished, the act or acts still haunt us. For us, it brings nothing but condemnation and guilt. We are fearful that even God can't forgive us. Worst yet, we can't forgive ourselves. It's always there.
Yesterday, I read a post by a journalist I had met in my travels. Her name is Pat Bean. She made the comment, "The truth is, I didn't even like myself when I was 21. But I do love the plump, sagging, old broad I am at 76. The years haven't always been good to me, but they've certainly been good for me." These statments made me stop and ask myself, "Do I love me?" I definitely agreed with her statement about not loving myself at 21, but did I love myself now? I could also agree with her next statement but could I say I loved myself. 
Later in the day, I was studying, Priscilla Shirer's, Discerning the Voice of God, and was released from the feelings of guilt and shame when she wrote of this very problem. She states she suffered from guilt and shame over things she had done in her past and was released when in her Scripture studying she ran across the verses in Isaiah 43 and they spoke to her heart. Furthermore, she states, "The Lord reminded me that He seeks to deliver me from the guilt of the past and move toward the promise of the future." That is our God. He is love. He loves us so much He sacrificed His Son so we could lay these very sins at the feet of Jesus Christ so we no longer live in condemnation but love. Love of God and yes, we can love ourselves; without guilt, without shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment