Saturday, September 26, 2015

CONFORMED/TRANSFORMED


Romans 12:2, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transfored by the renewing of your mind."

Like our friend here, do you sometimes stand out in the crowd? That's not always a bad thing. Unfortunately, too many times though we desire to give in to our "earthly desires: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry" (Colossians 3:5, NIV).. Paul goes on to tell us we must rid ourselves "of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other..." (Colossians 3:8,9). Now its probably fairly safe to say if the first group doesn't apply, there is something in the second group that fits.  Unfortunately, I didn't even make it through the first group of no-no's. You see, there is a certain coffeemaker I have been eyeing for some time. Recently, I have been spending an inordinate amount of time checking online comparing prices and availability at different stores. I don't mean just once or twice. I mean everytime I turned on my Ipad I would look. After all, the prices could have changed overnight. I was even going to stores to check (well, the prices could have been wrong on the internet). It became an idol that stood between me and God. I believe that is called idolatry.  Yes, that is standing out in the crowd for all the wrong reasons. Hey, just a minuate you say. If no one knew than how can you be standing out in the crowd. Ah, from God's perspective, I stood out in the crowd for all the wrong reasons. I was allowing the ways of this world to conform me.
The good news is the minute we become/became Christ-followers we were given the Holy Spirit. Priscilla Shirer describes the Holy Spirit as "God's control tower". He sees the end from the beginning and seeks to guide us through this life." When I allow God's messages to get through the "control tower" I am able to be "transformed by the renewing of your (my) mind".Then when I stand out in the crowd, it is as a "light" bringing praise to my Father in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment