Wednesday, October 19, 2016

ARE WE FOCUSING ON THE WRONG WINDOW?


This week-end I visited relatives close to me in Florida. Due to hurricanes they have hurricane shutters on their house to protect their windows. The first night I was taken into the bedroom I'd be staying in for the next two nights. The room has two windows; one where the hurricane shutter is only opened enough for air to come in the window when opened, the second is on the back of the house and opens out onto the lanai. Behind the lanai was a fence and the backyard neighbor's house.
My cousin assured me no one could see in the side window. Since it was late and dark outside I felt reassured I could get in my nightgown unobserved by anyone. In the morning I again focused my attention to the side window thereby reassuring myself I could get dressed unseen. However, I never paid any attention to the back window until I was putting my bra on and looked up to see clearly the backyard fence and neighbor's sliding glass door neatly within my view.
Immediately I thought, "How many times is our focus on the wrong window? Spiritually, how many times is our focus on the wrong thing and not on God?" Psalm 16:8 is one of my favorite verses, "Keep your eyes always on the Lord; with the Lord at my right hand, I will not be shaken." These few words are the instructions for us to overcome any trial we may face during the span of our day. Paul tells us in Philippians that "we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us". So, friends, don't  focus on the wrong window but on Jesus Christ "the propitiation for our sins..." (1 John 2:2a)

No comments:

Post a Comment