Friday, July 22, 2016

ARE YOU HUNGRY?



For several years I did cat-sitting for friends while they went on vacations. My friend once informed me,  “Sunny wouldn’t get any exercise if he didn’t have his canned food in the afternoon.” I quickly discovered what she meant. Starting around mid-morning, Sunny would begin gently asking for his canned food and he would progressively get more and more insistent the closer it came to his 3 p.m. feeding time.

At this time, my friends had two very comfortable leather easy chairs in their living room. When I wasn’t busy doing other things, I would sit in one as I worked on my computer or read.  As soon as I would sit, no matter what time in the morning it would be, Sunny would start his routine by jumping in my lap or in the chair beside me. In the early stages, Sunny would be satisfied with being petted and loved on. When he realized nothing was going to happen, he would jump down. A short time would pass and then, once again, Sunny would jump on my lap or beside me and again I would pet or love on him. When this method didn’t work, he would jump to the back of the chair and nudge me with his head. Next step was to sit beside me and lay his head on the side of my computer making it difficult to type. Seeing he was getting nowhere with that, he would move his head further onto the keyboard. Each time ended with him getting gently shooed away. The closer it was too feeding time, the more insistent his behavior until he was literally in my face.
I wonder what would happen if we were that insistent about asking God to feed us? How would it change our lives?  Psalm 42:1 tell us “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.” Psalm 81:10 says, "I am the Lord your God who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouths and I will fill it." 





No comments:

Post a Comment